These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Re Amping POD HD 500 Question
by camerongorham on 2011-05-07 11:21:45

Ok, a quick question to all my recording gurus out on the forums...

I want to re-amp a guitar track using my POD HD 500 and I think I have a method to do it, but, I would like to hear the processed signal while recording a dry track. Any ideas? (I figured this question could also help those looking into re-amping, so if you have techniques or methods, feel free to share those as well.)

Thanks,

Big C

Re: Re Amping POD HD 500 Question
by timowens on 2011-05-07 12:31:45

You might be able to position the FX loop before everything and get the dry track that way, but that would require an analog input on your DAW. Or you may be able to setup a dual tone configuration with one side dry and the other one wet. Either way, it sure would be easier if the HD had the functionality of the X3.

by wardick on 2011-05-07 14:58:39

Even easier if the HD, X3 had functionality of XT.  

by timowens on 2011-05-07 15:06:47

wardick wrote:

Even easier if the HD, X3 had functionality of XT.  

by wardick on 2011-05-07 16:26:04

Seriously why aint' that stuff there?   The XT was the pinacle, any else since has been lacking and why I dumped L6.  The best thing any L6 owner can do is NOT use the X as sound card, but instead have a real sound card and use X via the analog outs.  You will not regret it once you figure it out and you can swap in any gear and record via analog instead of that usb interface stuff.  Free yourself of that USB L6 connection for recording.  Go ahead and use it for editor or whatever, but ditch it for recording purposes.  You will benefit in the long run.

by stumpsout on 2011-05-07 21:15:32

wardick wrote:

Seriously why aint' that stuff there?   The XT was the pinacle

I've wondered this many times, too. Sucks.

by camerongorham on 2011-05-08 09:02:31

So if I put the FX Loop in the first block, could I, say, use a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and the run my M/M 1/8" cable into the mic in of my computer? That's probably fine but I feel the mic in on my PC kinda screws the quality of the track for some reason, whereas the USB sounds great every time. Anyone have any ideas how any of this could be done via the USB? I was thinking a dual tone with one wet and one dry panned hard left and right, and then using that. I usually record with Audacity, so I would need to find out how to split those two tracks and make each into a mono wet/dry track. Any ideas there would be appreciated as well.

Re: RE: Re Amping POD HD 500 Question
by Line6Don on 2011-05-12 11:52:52

Hey camerongorham,

To reamp a guitar track on the POD HD500 using USB connection:

-Launch your DAW.

-Assign your POD HD500 as the audio device/driver.

-Create a track.

-Start using a blank patch, so that you can record your guitar clean.

-Connect your guitar to the Guitar Input.

-Record your guitar part.

-Disarm the record enable on this track once you are done recording.

-Create another track with the same input, but mute it, but record enable it.

-On the HD500, using a instrument cable, connect the L MONO out to the guitar input.

-Configure your tone, or bring up a patch.

-Launch the Line 6 Audio-MIDI devices menu, and under the inputs & recording tab please decrease the hardware monitor level all the way.

-After you are happy with your tone, press record.

You can use the 1/4" out switch to adjust the level if you are having a bad signal or sound.

I hope this helps.

by silverhead on 2011-05-12 16:27:52

Now, that's just bleedin' brilliant! Good stuff, Line6Don - thanks!

by silverhead on 2011-06-06 11:38:49

Hey Don.

I'm having trouble getting your re-amping methodology to work for me. Recording the dry/clean track is no problem, but here's where things break down for me:

-Create another track with the same input, but mute it, but record enable it.

-On the HD500, using a instrument cable, connect the L MONO out to the guitar input.

-Configure your tone, or bring up a patch.

-Launch the Line 6 Audio-MIDI devices menu, and under the inputs & recording tab please decrease the hardware monitor level all the way.

-After you are happy with your tone, press record.

You can use the 1/4" out switch to adjust the level if you are having a bad signal or sound.

Plugging the L/MONO output to the Guitar Input is creating a feedback loop within the HD500. What I can't figure out is how to eliminate the feedback loop without also eliminating the ability to hear and record the wet tone/patch. Using the Line 6 Audio-MIDI devices controller as you describe seems to do both: it eliminates the feedback loop but also means that neither I nor my DAW  can hear/record my wet tone/patch. What am I missing? I am monitoring using the Pod HD headphones. Record Monitoring in my DAW is OFF.

by stumpsout on 2011-06-06 12:50:15

Seems like a good candidate for a Line 6 tutorial video

(translation...I don't get it)

by magpie on 2011-07-04 18:50:21

Line6Don, could you please confirm that this reamp-trick works.

Silverhead pointed out some problems so it would be great if someone could find a solution.

Cheers!

by lowyaw on 2011-07-05 00:17:12

with this method, user won't be able to monitor processed signal while recording (as opposed to reamping)

is this correct?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-07-05 00:31:29

I haven't tried Don's method personally, but as long as you cut the direct link between the HD500's input and output you effectively force everything through the computer based DAW before hearing the computer processed sound from the HD500's output.   (OK that's a bit crude in description, but it's similar to MIDI keyboards that allow Local Off thereby forcing all keyboard output to go out via a MIDI out port through a computer or MIDI sequencer or whatever and then back in to the keyboard's on-board sound module so you can hear the results of what you're playing).

This is the important bit:

That turns down the direct signal path link (Local) in the HD500 itself (only affects it whilst the HD500 is connected to a computer.  I have used the HD500 in the same way with POD Farm 2.5 and it works.  But as I say i haven't specifically tested this with a DAW and using the POD HD500 for re-amping, however Don's suggestion looks correct to me on paper and it should work as far as I can see and you should be able to monitor the results of your re-amping as you record the replacement track

Nick

by bjnette on 2012-12-09 07:10:30

An easier way is to record the dry via the s/pdif output. In the menu on the output you have to sellect dry. You might need to increase the dry s/pdif out as well in the menu.

You can monitor the processed signal from the analogue outs.

On reamping I have not done it . The POD HD has s/pdif in , ideal for it but alas not the 500.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.