These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

POD X3 Live - pops and clicks in headphones and recordings - audio problems
by Guitarplaya147 on 2011-07-24 00:52:05

I recently downloaded Riffworks because I wanted to start recording using my POD X3 Live only to find out that when I plug it into my computer I get pops and clicks coming through my headphones while I play and on the recordings.  After hours of research and messing with stuff I felt like I should see if anyone has any better ideas.  Here's the situation:

Here is a link to look over my computers specs:  it's a 64 bit Vista system

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229078

1) I have Driver Version 4.2.4.4 / USB Firmware 1.02 / Flash Memory 2.01 and I've installed the driver from monkey, and from the website

2) I'm listening to the audio via headphones connected to the POD X3 LIVE.

3) The POD X3 Live and headphones work flawlessly when not plugged into a computer.

4) The POD X3 Live has been connected to the USB port in the back of my computer and the front

5) All unnecessary USB connections were removed

6) I disabled UAC

7) disabled the on-board sound card

8) turned off windows sounds

9) set theme to windows standard,

10) disabled remote assistance

11) adjusted process scheduling to background

12) disabled automatic updates

13) adjusted virtual memory allocation to recommended

14) turned off system restore

15) turned off unnecessary start-up programs

16) changed background to solid color

17) disabled virus software. 

18) I've adjusted the buffer sizes

19) I've adjusted the bit depth and frequency

The only thing odd that I noticed was that no matter what settings I choose as the "Default Format" for the playback driver properties "when running in shared mode" (ex. 16..32 bit and 44100..48000 Hz) or any of the ASIO Settings for default buffer size and bit depth, the "Driver Format" box remained at 48000Hz; 24 bit.  Seems like the driver is always operating at that setting despite my configurations.

All of this did nothing to even reduce the popping and clicking. Complete waste of time and very disappointing.  I wish somebody could just tell me step 20 and have this solved.  The last thing I want is another list of things to try, but I'm certain that's all I can do at this point so if someone could please point me in the right direction I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks

Travis

RE: POD X3 Live - pops and clicks in headphones and recordings - audio problems
by Line6Don on 2011-07-28 11:06:21

Hey Guitarplaya147,

Thank you for providing all the steps you have taken already to address this issue. It looks like you have done a great job to optimize your computer for audio, although it is unfortunate you are still receiving clicks and pops.

The only other advice I can offer at this point would be to try and make sure to connect it directly to a USB port and not a USB hub, extension, or keyboard of any kind, preferably connect it to a USB port on the rear of computer. Try using additional USB cables and every USB port available with different buffer size and bit depths until you are able to eliminate the pops and clicks.

If you are still receiving clicks and pops, I would suggest to try this on another computer to try diagnose whether it is your host computer or the POD X3 Live at the root of this issue.

There is some other useful information found at the link below as well:

USB Audio Troubleshooting

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4282

Re: RE: POD X3 Live - pops and clicks in headphones and recordings - audio problems
by Guitarplaya147 on 2011-07-28 19:25:07

No help yet

I've tried every USB port in every configuration as you described.

I tried different USB cables

I followed every step in the USB Audio Troubleshooting document except:

- Purchase a PCI based USB card

- but this suggests something about a chipset problem so I checked and my chipset does not match the list of known chipset issues, so I'm not sure this would work. Do you?

- BIOS Performance Settings - I'll do this soon

- DPC Latency (IRQ hogging)

- I downloaded LatencyMon and it said that my system appears suitable for playing real time audio.  I can give you reports from that program if you think it would help

- OS reinstall - not doing this

- Hard Drive Reformat - not doing this

I will try it on a friends computer hopefully this weekend.

Re: RE: POD X3 Live - pops and clicks in headphones and recordings - audio problems
by Guitarplaya147 on 2011-07-28 19:27:50

I also still have no control over the drivers settings.  No matter what bit depth or frequencies that I select in any windows of the control panel the driver claims to operate at 48000; 24 bit.  is that normal?

by Line6david on 2011-07-29 14:17:05

Hi,

You should be able to select multiple sample rates and bit depths in the Line 6 Audio MIDI Control Panel. Have you tried uninstalling the Line 6 Software using Add/Remove Programs in Windows?

Also, run windows update:

http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/thanks.aspx?ln=en&&thankspage=5

I have seen instances of video card drivers causing these issues. Make sure the drivers for your video card are up to date. Also, make sure that any device that uses streaming drivers is unplugged when using the POD X3 Live. (Web Cams, Other Audio Devices, Digital Cameras)

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

by Guitarplaya147 on 2011-07-29 21:13:38

I have tried uninstalled the line 6 software   - no help

I have uninstalled the driver from monkey and installed it from your website - no help

windows update is up to date

There is nothing else plugged into my computer other than my keyboard and mouse when I test it,

I tried it on a friend's computer (Vista) tonight and it made the exact same pops and clicks!

We tried different hubs in the front and in the back of his computer

We unplugged everything else but the keyboard and mouse.

We simply downloaded the driver off the website and then right-clicked the POD-X3 icon in the sounds control panel and clicked test

the 6 tones play and its all cracked and popping just like my computer.

So is my pedal defective? 

by Guitarplaya147 on 2011-07-31 14:55:23

Here are my friends computer specs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108192R

by Line6Don on 2011-08-01 14:17:25

Hey Guitarplaya147,

Have you tried increasing the buffer size within the host DAW application? A small buffer size combined with a computer with insufficient resources is usually the cause of pops and clicks, provided that all of the software is up to date the USB connections are good.

When you tried it on your friends computer did you make sure to go through the same trouble shooting steps to ensure that it was setup correctly and optimized?

If not then I would be thorough and make sure to try all the troubleshooting steps above on his computer as well.

If you still are receiving clicks and pops then it could potentially be the hardware, which will require a local Line 6 Service Center to assess the unit for repair. To locate a Line 6 Service Center in your area, please follow the link below:

http://line6.com/service_centers/

by Guitarplaya147 on 2011-08-01 16:55:35

As I've said, I've tried every buffer size and every bit depth possible in everyplace I could find a setting for it and I explained what I did on my friends computer. 

Your telling me that I should take my pedal back to my friends house and ask him if I can completely change every audio, security, appearance, data management, and anti-virus setting on his computer?  I'm sure he won't mind that, right?  You have got to be kidding me. Wouldn't it just be smarter to try it on a third computer that's known to work, like say, at a service center? Or do POD devices not work without stripping your computer to DOS mode anyway?  I've spent over a week going in circles with you people and I know you can't give me any specific help because you don't have my computer in front of you. But what about my computer seems inefficent to you?  Its a gaming machine, quad core with 12MB L2 cache, 4 GB of RAM, USB 2.0, it far exceeds any of your "system requirements." So why have we been constantly blaiming my computer as the cause.  The obvious common thread between my friend and I is Intel G31 chipset with Vista 64 bit and my pedal.  So why don't you guys take my computer specs and/or my friends computer specs and run some tests on your Vista 64 driver?  In the meantime, I'll take this to a service center and they can test it there.     

by Line6Don on 2011-08-02 10:39:45

Hey Guitarplaya147,

I am just trying to be thorough and objective, when testing your POD X3 Live, so that we can try everything possible before taking it in to a service center for repair.

Windows Vista is known to have issues with pops and clicks due to it's resource stealing visual effects. You did a great job of optimizing your computer, to thoroughly test it on your friends computer, it needs to be optimized as well.

You can try it on a third computer that is not running Vista if you think that is a valid option as well. If not the next step would be to have a Line 6 Service Center assess the unit for you. To locate a Line 6 Service Center in your area, please follow the link below:

http://line6.com/service_centers/

by Guitarplaya147 on 2011-08-11 10:00:19

I still need to take my POD to a service center so they can try to fix it.  But given the horrible technical support I've been given from these Line 6 "experts" my confidence is not very high for finding a resolution.  In that case, I will not hesitate to ebay this piece of junk and never buy another Line 6 product EVER again.  And I'll make certain that every person I meet knows exactly how awful Line 6 products are for computer compatiblility and technical support.  The best part is that they just assume the correct answer when the issues are clearly unresolved.  This forum is the worst form of customer service I've ever experienced, hands down.  So I hope it actually is a hardware issue, because that is the only saving grace I have for this nightmare of troubleshooting I've been through.

by Line6Don on 2011-08-15 09:40:39

Hey Guitarplaya147,

We are willing to continue to troubleshoot the issue with you if you would like, we have not assumed that your case has been resolved yet.

If you have continued to test the POD X3 Live on other computer systems without results, please have a local Line 6 Service Center assess the unit for you and let us know what they find.

Thank you.

by Line6david on 2011-08-17 16:30:20

Hello,

It has been at least 48 hours since we've heard from you. We're going to assume your question has been answered and close this support thread. If you feel your question(s) have not been answered, or, if you have further questions, please feel free to re-open a support thread within our support community and we will answer your questions accordingly. Thanks!

Line 6 Support

Re: POD X3 Live - pops and clicks in headphones and recordings - audio problems
by ZedChuva on 2011-08-21 04:55:11

I'm right there with you Guitarplaya147. I never used to have this issue at all, until about 10 months ago. Oddly, right around the time Line6 stopped making the X3 and started pushing the HD line. Coincidence? I think not. In the past 10months, I've had nothing but troubles with my X3 when trying to record with it. I'm really surpised the "experts" didn't advise you buying an HD500 to fix your problems. I had troubles with my HD500 (before I took it back), and the main advice was either, "Try using it with an LD50", or "If you want more FX, run and M13 or M9 in the loop!" Don't try and fix a problem, by shilling more of your product... that's garbage.

Hey, I still love my POD, but trust me, the next thing I purchase will be an AxeFX. I know they're 3 times the price, but I've never heard of anywhere near the problems with that unit, and their customer service is apparently great.

by Guitarplaya147 on 2011-09-17 12:34:25

"If you have continued to test the POD X3 Live on other computer systems without results, please have a local Line 6 Service Center assess the unit for you and let us know what they find."

I took it to a Abel Audio which is my local Line 6 Service Center in Columbus, Ohio.  They took a month to look over and try to fix the unit.  On the bill it says he ordered and performed tech update #52, removed paint from the chassis back for better grounding on ground fingers, tried to reflow PC chips solder joints with heat gun, checked ground connections on USB chip, checked items suggested by line 6 technicians, cannot track down problem to a single component.  So now that I got the unit back home, I find that the top row of switches do not work and the home and input buttons are smashed in.  So now I can't even sell it because your service center only managed to break it even more.  I obviously have to take it back now and probably wait another month for them to fix what they broke.  But before I do I would like to know what my options are at this point.  Your service center guys tell me I need a new main board and it costs $300 and that its not covered under warrenty? Is he serious? After all of this the end of my story is I bought a defective product and I'm stuck with it, now more broken then ever...  If that is the case, how can I justify purchasing another LINE 6 product ever again.  I bought a $500 defective product, got dragged through the mud, then spent $30 dollars at a repair center just to have it broken even more.  Did he really talk to your technicians? Can't I send it directly to you guys? Is there seriously no way to fix this problem without buying a new unit?  

by shyangyuu on 2013-01-12 07:41:54

I just bought x3 live last week and I suffered this problem whole week and try every fuking way(I just want to record... :'( )....

finally ,I fixed it , I uninstalled the driver , that's all !

and I have perfect recording time right now, god damn good !

Try this!

by db0451 on 2013-01-13 01:13:27

I mean, did you actually read the thread? Considering how much the OP did to try to fix the problem, do you not think that reinstalling the drivers is one of the things that was already tried and didn’t work? Considering that you bumped it after a year and five months, actually paying attention before replying would have been the least that you could do. Or do you think your three stupid emoticons will somehow make everything better?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.