These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

Pod X3 Live - Clicks and drop outs when switching between patches
by JohnnyCeravolo on 2011-12-12 04:08:40

I am experiencing a "clicking" noise and drop-outs when switching between patches. How can this be avoided?

Re: Pod X3 Live - Clicks and drop outs when switching between patches
by Line6Don on 2011-12-15 16:13:15

Hey JohnnyCeravolo,

It is normal for the unit to produce a very quick and subtle drop of audio and click when changing presets. This is neccesary for this POD X3 Live to change it's DSP settings to the new preset. Switching presets in the middle of a chord ringing out or after striking a note can exaggerate the drop in sound. I would suggest to try and time preset changes in between chords or notes.

by JohnnyCeravolo on 2011-12-15 19:15:01

Thank you for the response Line6Don! Unfortunately, this prevents me from using the unit. It is unacceptable.

I play guitar through a ton of effects while singing and switching patches. When I switch patches on this particular unit, the sound of the click and the dropout between patches while switching is too distracting and frankly, completely unmusical. I do not understand how guys with such

I would rather play with a few pedals that change the tone instantly than have all the flexibility of the X3 Live and have to deal with this switching problem.

I am a massive fan of Line 6. They get it. The sounds they put out are incredible. But for live, I can't be pressing footswitches slightly early in the hopes that the new sound will land on the beat. How did a company that is SO tuned in to excellence in sound quality manage to overlook this? Or look past it? Very frustrating...

I have been looking at the HD500 for quite some time. Does the same problem exist with that unit as well?

Thanks again so much for the response! I really appreciate it!

Not trying to be a jerk, just speaking plainly. If Line 6 can fix this switching problem, they'll have a perfect solution to every guitarists problem! =)

by Line6Hugo on 2011-12-20 16:39:56

Testing a POD X3 Live here with the latest firmware version, I am not hearing a problem or latency that is unusable.  Can you please provide an example of the presets you are switching between, or if you are holding notes/chords in between changing presets?

Also, make sure that the POD X3 Live is updated to the latest flash memory version.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by JohnnyCeravolo on 2011-12-20 21:32:57

Hi Hugo, I will check the firmware when I get back to the studio. I bought the unit used. Can I still get updates?

Regarding the patches, I am going from a mono clean sound (1 layer) to a dual layer which has a clean sound dead center in the stereo spectrum with a second clean sound underneath driving stereo chorus and stereo delay. I think what's going on is the processor is changing from a simple patch to a more complex patch and lags while changing its internal settings to accomodate the new patch. The dropout/delay/click problem doesn't happen when I switch between simpler patches. There's still a delay (about 25 miliseconds I think), but I can live with that. Wish I didn't have to though.

I don't want a unit that drops out AT ALL between patches. I want to be able to play a chord, and while it's ringing out switch between patches with no audible clicks, delays, or dropouts. This is available with pedal switching units (Musicom EFX MKii, Moen GEC438, Voodoo Labs Ground Control/GCX/Pedal Switcher), so I don't understand why Line 6 hasn't solved the problem. Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love Line 6 sonically. I'd just like to be able to use the LIne 6 in both the recording and live performance domains. The clicking and dropping out and delay makes it unmusical.

I'm hoping the HD500 doesn't have this dropout.

by Line6david on 2011-12-27 14:18:57

Hi,

I would definitely recommend a flash memory and firmware update:

http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-4698

Also,">http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-4698">http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-4698

Also,if you switch between presets when using a delay the trail of the delay will be cut off. This is present on all PODs including the HD500. The solution is to stay in the patch you are using. i.e. use the stomp, mod, delay, comp and tone 2 buttons to turn effects and amp models on/off rather than switching to a new preset. This way delay trails will be present.

The HD500 has a special foot switch assign mode to accommodate this:

http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2059

Thanks,">http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2059">http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2059

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

RE: Pod X3 Live - Clicks and drop outs when switching between patches
by Line6Tony on 2011-12-29 11:20:12

Hello. We haven’t heard back from you, so we're going to assume your question has been answered. If it has been answered, please award points to whoever was helpful and/or answered the question.

In the event your issue has not been resolved, I created a support ticket for you so we can continue to communicate. Please respond to the ticket. With us talking via the ticket, I will mark this thread answered.

Q: What is a support ticket?

A: A support ticket allows you to directly correspond with a Line 6 Support Representative. An email will be sent to you from Line 6 containing a link to the ticket when a Line 6 Support Representative responds to it. Please follow the link in the email to view your open ticket to work one on one with Line 6 Support. Also, in your account, click My Account, then click Support Tickets to view the support ticket. Here’s a shortcut: http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/.

Please note: Sometimes support tickets will be filtered to spam and junk folders. If you did not receive an email from us indicating that a ticket has been created, please make sure to check those folders in your email host, and also that your email account is receiving messages at all.

Re: RE: Pod X3 Live - Clicks and drop outs when switching between patches
by David_Wise on 2012-04-27 06:10:55

I also have the problem with the X3 clicking between patches.

Latest firm ware and everything.

Works fine in until I use a distorted patch in dual mode.

Then this stays in memory, instead of being flushed from memory. [Line6 - this is sloppy programming and dead easy to fix!]

And it's this patch that I hear momentarily when changing patches.

Works arounds:

Turning the unit off and on will flush the memory.

Create a silent patch to use on the second patch.

In dual mode - make sure this is the 2nd patch and selected before going back to single mode.

Viola - no clicking.

I can't believe Line6 haven't bothered to fix such a glaring problem, and one that's so easy to fix.

Aside from that, this X3 makes an excellent soundcard for my computer.

Worth the purchase for this feature alone.

Re: RE: Pod X3 Live - Clicks and drop outs when switching between patches
by KiLoX on 2012-08-07 17:48:52

[Line6 - this is sloppy programming and dead easy to fix!]

Line 6 is there any hope to fix this?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.