These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

After updating pod hd500 device no longer detected
by Rational_666aze on 2012-04-03 22:13:45

I need advice on solving this problem. I updated l6 monkey and then installed the new updates for the hd500 and ever since my windows vista laptop, l6 monkey, and hd edit do not detect my POD. I've already done the global reset and this hasn't resolved the issue. I've also tried another USB cable and every USB port on my laptop. I've updated the drivers in l6 monkey multiple times as well to no avail. Should I roll back to older drivers? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Re: After updating pod hd500 device no longer detected
by mazuwa on 2012-04-04 01:32:39

Be sure you unplugged the usb cable before deinstalling and reinstalling the drivers.

Of course you can try the older driver version first that worked before by downloading it separately, then later retry the newest version, just to make changes to the system.

Check out what does your device manager show? Is the device registered by Vista?

by jimsreynolds on 2012-04-04 03:34:05

Have you rebooted?   Could be worth a go.  Sometimes files get locked and the last bits of installation are done when the machine is restarted.  Just a thought.

by Rational_666aze on 2012-04-04 09:09:35

Tried both to no avail guys thanks for the advice though. Basically my pod just isn't talking to my computer. I was told by someone a bit more experienced than me that it could be an issue with PODs not liking usb hubs. It being my laptop I believe that all of my USB ports are considered hubs so the new update may be the cause of it no longer being received by my laptop. That is weird to me though as up until now I've had no problems so it could just be my POD faulting out on me now as well.

This is what I've done so far with no new results:

1.) Rolled back to older updates with all l6 software(except monkey since they new update is required and it won't let me boot it up without the newest update).
2.) Powered down rebooted attempted to reconnect.
3.)Checked that my laptop was registered with l6 (did this when I took my pod out of the box originally a few months back). It wasn't for some reason so I registered it a second time, rebooted, and tried again. Nothing.
4.) Manually downloaded older drivers(instead of using l6 monkey) from line6.com and ran the install. No new results.
5.) Did the global reset on my POD by holding left on the nav button during power up.
6.)Repeated all previous steps with the reset POD. Nothing.

I'd also like to note that I always leave my POD unplugged from my pc except when I initially open monkey or hd edit for detection, or when prompted to during an update install...so I didn't have it plugged in when the red screen pops up and prompts me to make sure it's unplugged during the install.

The only troubleshooting I'm aware I have left as an option is trying it on a different computer unless someone knows any other ideas.

Thanks again.

by Rational_666aze on 2012-04-04 09:12:42

I'd also like to note that I didn't successfully roll anything back on my POD just attempted to. I was unable to even connect to be able to apply older drivers or updates.

by silverhead on 2012-04-04 09:17:00

Try holding down the right nav key when you power up the HD500. In the Safe Mode display, use the up/down nav key to make sure the word UPDATE is selected. The run Money and try the update again. Make sure you install the latest driver.

by Rational_666aze on 2012-04-04 09:25:34

There was no "Update" option in safe mode.

When I power up with the right nav button the options I have are:

Pedal Cal
Buttons
Pots
Encoders
Flash
SDRAM

LEDs
LCD
Variax
Jacks
Pedals
MIDI
SQ

by silverhead on 2012-04-04 09:53:18

Ooops - my mistake. Select FLASH.

by Rational_666aze on 2012-04-04 09:59:06

It seems like it just does a quick diagnostic then goes back to the menu with a P (I'm guessing for Pass) next to the Flash option. Are you sure it isn't booting up with down on the nav button? Doing that it pops up with UPDATE FLASH on the lcd screen.

by silverhead on 2012-04-04 10:06:47

You're right - do the down button. I was working from (an obviously flawed) memory.

by Rational_666aze on 2012-04-04 11:02:07

No luck but thanks! I've also tried on another pc with the same results. In the bottom right it pops up and says "USB Device not recognized" when I plug into the pc and it isn't detected by monkey or hd edit on startup. While in the "Safe mode" the results were the same on both my laptop and desktop.

by Rational_666aze on 2012-04-04 11:13:57

Also, there were no changes whatsoever even after running the driver installation multiple times both normally and in safe mode on both PCs.

by Rational_666aze on 2012-04-05 10:16:17

Looks as though I'll be taking it to be serviced as I have no other forseable solution.

by wielxp on 2012-04-06 10:02:40

I had the same problem.

Just uninstall hd edit with the uninstaller program from line 6 (found in windows confuguration uninstall programs)

Start ,monkey and install hd edit 500

Be sutre to install the right version (hd pro edit, hd edit 500 etc.)

Greetings wielxp

by Rational_666aze on 2012-04-06 19:18:58

As I've said I've done all of this. The pod still isn't talking to the computer. I know that I need to have hd edit 500 and I do, thanks. My computer does not detect the POD period. I updated and the updates are on my POD currently(which is cool but useless for recording on my laptop if I can't connect to it) but now my computer says when I plug the POD "USB device not recognized". Before this when I would hook it up it would immediately say "Line 6 POD hd 500" above the tray icons, would become my computers primary sound card, and would immediately be detected when opening either hd edit or l6 monkey. Now it detects nothing whatsoever whether I start up in "safe mode" or not. I'm screwed here because I can't actually get the pod to connect to my computer or monkey to roll back to older updates or drivers (or reinstall current ones for that matter). Reflashing and global resetting has done nothing. I checked with the retailer I got it from today(guitar center) about servicing it they had no idea what the problem was so apparently I'm going to have to ship it in to be fixed. Thanks for trying to help out though.

by Rational_666aze on 2012-04-06 19:46:39

Here are a couple screenshots of what this looks like from my end.

hdfail.jpg

hdfail2.jpg

by Rational_666aze on 2012-04-06 19:57:21

Here is another one as well so you can see what my menu on l6 monkey looks like. Note: After reinstalling the drivers multiple times the ! warning still comes up each time I reopen l6 monkey.

hdfail3.jpg

by wielxp on 2012-04-07 01:02:24

Are you sure you uninstall the drivers first? en restart the computer?

Then install the drivers with administrator rights?

Right  click on the install file and choose adminitrator? Also start monkey with adminitrator rights.

Try also a other usb port on your computer

But the way it looks its likely a flash problem.  Try the different reset flash  modes.  (search in other treads for this).

Is your pod functional normal? if yes is the version nummer in setup mode 2.02?

by wielxp on 2012-04-07 01:06:46

You also tried  to instal the drivers by hand in device properties?

Right click unknow device and choose driver install

by Rational_666aze on 2012-04-07 11:06:29

I've already manually uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times and I restart each time it still pops up as an uknown device and isn't detected by l6 monkey

Also when I install drivers with monkey the install box at the last step once I plug the pod in never pops up (obviously since the POD isn't detected to receive the drivers).
hdfail4.jpg

by rlustemberg on 2012-05-11 16:45:05

Have you checked if the USB port has been damaged? It could be a coincidence that the issue happened after the update, but the USB connector on the HD500 is so flimsy, it usually breaks without us noticing. The thing tocheck is if the plastic block in the middle of the port is there, if you ust see 4 cable poles, then it's broken, and the poles are probably misaligned and no longer contacting the ones on the USB cable.

by Line6david on 2012-05-24 09:15:11

Hi,

It looks like you have been through a ton of troubleshooting. At this point, We need to determine if this is a hardware issue or an operating system issue. Do you have access to another computer you can try the HD500 with? If the 500 will not connect to another computer, it needs to be taken to an authorized service center for repair.

http://line6.com/service_centers/

If">http://line6.com/service_centers/">http://line6.com/service_centers/

Ifyou have any more questions please contact us directly:

http://line6.com/account/tickets/view

Thanks,">http://line6.com/account/tickets/view">http://line6.com/account/tickets/view

Thanks,

David

by gabrieljr on 2012-10-22 14:14:24

Hi David , I also did the upgrade, and I didn't have the need to plugged it into my computer , until last night and guess what... My HD500 is not recognized by my Pc with windows vista' . Please help?

by gabrieljr on 2012-10-22 14:18:23

Hi , Im going thru the same issue with my HD500, and it also happen after the last update and I'm also running windows Vista, did you ever got yours fixed? Thanks

by Rational_666aze on 2012-10-23 15:03:42

This was wrongly marked as the correct answer my usb port isn't damaged I gave up on this problem awhile ago as I mostly use my pod live and it still works but I've started at it again since I'd like to record with it. I've discovered the problem is the usb firmware as on the first page of my system I/O screen it says that my USB Firmware version is 0.00. Is there anyway to fix this without connecting via midi? I saw a few solutions in forums for mac users but I'm using pc.

by Rational_666aze on 2012-10-23 15:06:52

I am on another laptop currently(my sisters) using windows 7. I have definitely narrowed this down to a firmware issue on the pod I just don't know how to resolve it so help from an expert would be fantastic! Is there anything I can do in command prompt with my pod connected to remove corrupted firmware and start from scratch?

by silverhead on 2012-10-23 15:37:49

Based on Line6David's reply above (#21) I'd say it's time to take it in for repair.

by Rational_666aze on 2012-10-23 15:37:52

I opened a support ticket for this issue so hopefully I get closer to a solution in the next few days. Thank you though for the support.

by Rational_666aze on 2012-10-23 15:44:19

Without being connected to a computer hold in the view/system I/O button on the pod and let me know what it says your firmware versions are next to the utilities icon. Mine reads as follows:

FLASH FW: v2.02
USB FW: v0.00

I'm pretty sure that the usb firmware should not read v0.00 and this is the reason it isn't connected to my computer. Either missing or corrupted usb firmware from some type of error during the last time I updated in april when this problem started.

by Rational_666aze on 2012-10-23 16:51:24

Well I bought my pod from guitar center which poses a problem since  they won't service it. (They just told me to email or call line 6 as soon as I walked in the door). The one solid place to take it for repairs(Pianos n Stuff in PIttsburgh) unfortunately doesn't do warranty work unless I purchased it from their store. The only other option I have unless I drive 100+ miles or wait around on shipping is a small business that has no website which leaves me a little nervous. I will probably be emailing them if the support ticket I opened doesn't help any.

In regardls to Line6David's response it isn't a hardware or operating system issue it's a firmware issue. I'm having my doubts that local electronics stores that deal with hardware problems have a solution for a firmware issue either so I feel like this is going to be a huge waste of my time and money so I can be told that I have to send it in to l6 because they don't know what to do. I use this thing for gigs so that poses a huge problem for me.

Hopefully when I get a response back to the ticket I opened something a little less taxing is figured out because it really just seems like more trouble than it's worth even dealing with a service center over something software related. The warrantee might cover the servicing but it doesn't cover gas money or shipping. For the time being it seems like the only answer I've gotten is "we don't know".

by dragonz on 2012-10-30 18:35:09

I have the same problem, my POD HD dosnet connect with my computer anymore. I've check the back usb of my POD and as you mentions, and yes! the black plastic block that is supposed to be in there is missing and only the four metal poles are vicible, that probably explains the lost of connection. Now the question is, how can I fix it? do I need to have it replaced or can that missing piece be restored?

by darioceliz on 2012-12-28 16:13:02

I have the same problem, my computer does nottttttttt detect my hd500 , pain in the ?@#, frustrated at this moment

by darioceliz on 2012-12-28 16:17:20

Mine has the usb: FW:V0.00 , my computer does not recognize the hd500.......?@*#($&*%

by darioceliz on 2012-12-28 16:41:47

Fixed!!!!!, Was the cable, i use a normal firewire and problem solved, looks that i damage my cable disconecting it from my computer with out power off the hd500, try to change the cable

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.